Beauty Review: Chapstick True Shimmer


I recently had to opportunity to test out the new True Shimmer lip balm from Chapstick, and I wanted to let you know what I thought. There were some good qualities, and some not so good qualities. So here it is, Chapstick True Shimmer: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly!

The Good: Chapstick really really did a bang-up job on the flavors of these lip balms. I had the chance to try them in Botanical Berry and Tropical, and two new flavors that will be in stores later this summer: Blended Fruit Sherbert and Peppermint Rush. Blended Fruit Sherbert, Botanical Berry and Tropical were fruity and sweet without tasting fake or chemical-ly. They even smelled good. I also liked Peppermint Rush, but was surprised at how strong it was. There is definitely some peppermint oil in here, so beware. It's great though if you want a minty burst, like I sometimes do to pep me up.

The Bad: There is zero sun protection in these balms. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Chapstick can't release a flavored lip product with a decent SPF. With all that we know about skin cancer and sun protection, this really makes no sense. Boo for that!

The Ugly: The "shimmer" in True Shimmer is really not much more than some silver/white flecks, that look horribly ashy on pigmented lips. Because of this, I would NOT recommend True Shimmer to any person of color. I got a little carried away with Peppermint Rush (who I believe is the worst culprit of the bunch), and I ended up looking like Tyrone Biggums. Not a good look. Which was a shame because it was actually rather moisturizing.

Conclusion: If you're not worried about sun protection, then I would recommend Chapstick True Shimmer for its moisture factor. As far as the shimmer, I would only wear it in moderation or under something else.

So, what do you think? Would you give this a try?

1 comments:

Levi said...

If this chapstick makes you look like Tyrone, then I will have to pass. All this chapstick will do is have you licking your lips all day long.

June 22, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Post a Comment

SPAM is not permitted. It WILL be deleted!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Seasonal_120x60

Search Brown Bombshell Beauty

About Me

My photo
Life-long beauty junkie. There's no 12-step program for this!

Labels

Archives