Beauty Q&A

After writing about my current obsession with red lip color, reader Arionne wrote in with a beauty Q&A!

Q: Okay...so I think I might try this out. My only concern about red lips, which I also love, is finding the right look. I love glossy lips on me. And I find it really hard to switch back to a more matte red lip color. When I have tried to do a glossy red lip, it tends to be a bit too much. Is it possible that red matte lips or red lips period just don't work for some folks? And if I choose to go for a glossy look, how can I make that work and not do too much? -Arionne

A: Thanks for writing in Arionne! I can definitely help you with your beauty quandary! When wearing red lip color there are two things you have to keep in mind: shade and texture.

First, the shade of red. The thing I loved about the Stila compact was the fact that it came with a few different shades of red, so you can mix and match to create your own perfect shade. Since you're new to the whole red lip thing, I would suggest trying a deeper shade like burgundy, berry or wine, and work your way up to a full blown red. Once you're ready for a true red, try on several shades with varying undertones to find the right red for your skin tone. Just because it looks cute in the tube, doesn't mean it will look cute on you!

Secondly, and maybe most importantly, is texture. You mentioned that you're not really fond of matte lips. No problem! This is totally a matter 0f preference. If you prefer glossy lips, then glossy lips you shall have! I like a semi-matte red because I feel that it's more toned down than a bright, super-glossy red lip. As you mentioned, ultra-glossy red lip gloss can be too much for some tamer brown beauties.

So here is what I recommend: a deeper shade of red in a sheer, see-through texture. Here are some of my faves, just for you!

1.If you like the shine of a gloss, but not the bold in your face color it can provide, try L'Oreal HIP Jelly Balm in Delectable. This little gem goes on with the creaminess of a lip balm, with a sheer burst of red color. It's perfect if you want a pop of color with just a hint of shine.

2. For a sheer and shiny hit of berry color, try Lipstick Queen's Lipstick in Saint Wine. As a bonus, this creamy color fades down to a soft red stain as it wears off.

3. Laura Mercier's Lip Stain in Mulberry will stain your lips with a gorgeous deep red. Your kisser will look like you've just eaten a Popsicle, but better!

With these options, you'll be sure to find your perfect red, just in time for spring. Try these out and let me know what you think!

P.S. This is the last post on red lip color, I promise!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

SPAM is not permitted. It WILL be deleted!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Seasonal_120x60

Search Brown Bombshell Beauty

About Me

My photo
Life-long beauty junkie. There's no 12-step program for this!

Labels