The Artist Summit 2009 Wrap-Up

I'm back from my amazing weekend at The Artist Summit Chicago, presented by The Powder Group! The people I met and the things that I learned are so immeasurable, I don't know where to begin!

The Artist Summit is all about education for makeup artists of all levels, and they certainly didn't disappoint. I was able to take classes on everything from eye lashes and airbrush makeup, to makeup detailing and building a pro makeup kit. Even the business aspect of the makeup industry was covered, as well holistic methods to keep sane in an often insane business.

Not only were these classes unlike any beauty education I've ever experienced, but they were taught by the BEST makeup pros in the industry. I was able to take classes with artists like Danessa Myricks, Daven Mayeda and Crystal Wright to name just a few. I was pleasantly surprised at how open and accessible these artists were. It was extremely encouraging to encounter artist of their caliber being so willing to share their knowledge and expertise. So, I'd like to introduce you to some of the key people I met at The Artist Summit.

I had the extreme pleasure of meeting and taking classes from The Powder Group founder Michael DeVellis (at left). A former Executive Director of Artist Relations at MAC, Michael left MAC to create The Powder Group. His passion for the beauty industry and makeup artists was palpable, and his passion was infectious. Michael's classes were truly inspiring, and each time I left him I felt empowered to make bolder, stronger business decisions for this site and my career as a makeup artist.

I was thrilled to meet and take classes from phenomenal makeup artist James Vincent. James is not only a key makeup artist for Make Up For Ever and Lead Artist at The Powder Group, but he is also a celebrity makeup artist whose work has been seen recently on Lady Gaga, Liv Tyler, American Idol and tons more. He was a veritable wealth of information, and was as kind as he was knowledgeable.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Kevin-James Bennett of Make Up For Ever. Kevin is the Director of Pro-Business Development & Artist Relations at Make Up For Ever, and is the mastermind behind many of their innovative products.

I swoon for Make Up For Ever (you know how I feel about their HD Invisible Foundation!), so it was great to spend time with Kevin. Be on the lookout for a review of their newest HD product that I scooped up at the summit in the coming weeks!

The best part of the weekend for me was getting to meet some of my favorite beauty bloggers. I admire these women and what they've accomplished, so it was a real treat to spend time with Lianne of The Makeup Girl, Patrice of Afrobella and Felicia of ThisThatBeauty (at left). They were incredibly sweet and open to sharing their experiences as pro bloggers. I hope to see them, and all the other bloggers I met, again at The Powder Group's next event!

Overall, I had an amazing time at The Artist Summit and I strongly encourage any aspiring or working makeup artist, beauty blogger or makeup enthusiast to attend the next summit. I guarantee you that you will walk away with more than you ever anticipated!

I'll be posting more of what I learned, who I met and what I purchased at The Artist Summit over the coming weeks, so stay tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

SPAM is not permitted. It WILL be deleted!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Seasonal_120x60

Search Brown Bombshell Beauty

About Me

My photo
Life-long beauty junkie. There's no 12-step program for this!

Labels