Recession-Proof Your Makeup Bag!


I tend to be fairly frugal when it comes to most things, but I usually spare no expense when it comes to beauty products. Since we've all got to stretch our dollars these days, I decided to scale back on my beauty products and try less expensive alternatives (though I have no idea how long I can last!). The first place I started was my makeup bag.

It is extremely hard for me to find foundations and powders that match my skin tone, so I've always felt that any price is justifiable if the makeup matches. Nevertheless, I think I've found some pretty good alternatives at price points that are more agreeable to my wallet.

Here's what I usually use:

  • Becca Luminous Skin Colour in Cognac, $42
  • Becca Stick Foundation in Truffle, $44
  • Amazing Concealer in Deep Golden, $42
  • Becca Fine Loose Finishing Powder in Cardamom, $35
  • Nars Blush in Crazed, $25
  • YSL Touche Eclat in #4, $40
  • Bobbi Brown Metallic Eye Shadow in Burnt Sugar, $20
  • Max Factor 2000 Calorie Extreme Lash Plumper, $10
  • Revlon Matte Luxurious Color Kohl Eyeliner in Black Truffle, $10
BEAUTY TOTAL: $268.00

I know beauty costs, but this is a tad much. Since the Max Factor mascara and Revlon eyeliner are just $10 a piece, I decided not to replace them for now. I was surprisingly successful at finding less expensive alternatives to the other products, all of them found at the drugstore!

Here they are:
  • L'Oreal True Match Super Blendable Makeup in Cappuccino, $8 (on sale at Target)
  • Iman Second to None Cover Cream in Clay Medium Dark, $13 (NEW! available at select Walgreens)
  • Iman Corrective Concealer in Clay, $10 (great to carry in your purse for touch ups)
  • Iman Luxury Pressed Powder in Earth Medium, $15
  • Iman Luxury Blushing Powder in Peace, $11 (the closest color match to Nars' Crazed I've ever seen)
  • Sephora Light Touch Highlighter in Apricot, $12
  • Revlon ColorStay Mineral Eye Shadow in Tiger Eye, $9
  • Max Factor 2000 Calorie Extreme Lash Plumper, $10
  • Revlon Matte Luxurious Color Kohl Eyeliner in Black Truffle, $10
BEAUTY TOTAL: $98.00

Wow, much better! A $170 savings! I was so impressed with my ability to find cheaper versions of my makeup, I decided to recession-proof my medicine cabinet. In my next post I'll show you how I traded in some of my expensive skincare products for budget-friendly ones.


Budget Beauty logo by
Makeup Makes Me Happy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

SPAM is not permitted. It WILL be deleted!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Seasonal_120x60

Search Brown Bombshell Beauty

About Me

My photo
Life-long beauty junkie. There's no 12-step program for this!

Labels